Module No. 7
END OF WEEK 3!!
After the last email you received Tuesday, I’m hoping you felt a little more at ease. Maybe you were able to eat out and not over-eat, maybe you made a healthy choice at the gas station, whatever it may be – celebrate the little wins!
Now I want to talk about something not-so-sexy, REST. 😯
Seriously, this is the last thing that people ever want to talk or read about but I PROMISE I you I wouldn’t be so intent on discussing it if it wasn’t that important! We live in a culture that revolves around a ‘go-hard’ mentality with beliefs such as…
More = Better
Harder = More Efficient
Easy = Failure
Hard Work = Exhausting
Busy = Smart
This is SO contradictory and I have discovered how the results of these beliefs are just not optimal.
Think about it, the industrial era has been only been a nano-second of our existence as a human race. In this brief time frame, we (humans) have exponentially increased disease, obesity, drug/alcohol abuse, violence, and so much more that negatively influences our culture and environment. ha! That’s crazy!!
Okay, so you’re probably like “I get the picture” by now. TO THIS POINT – my short time in the fitness industry I recognize there is a HUGE lack of importance placed on rest. Most programs own a ‘go hard or go home’ mentality, which, in the most optimal state of health – can be useful at times – but if you’re working 40 hours a week, stressed about X, Y, Z, not getting enough sleep, sometimes forgetting to drink water, sitting majority of the day, dealing with family/kid stressors, this is NOT optimal for you.
Majority of us do not have relaxed lives. More often than not, we walk around in a stressed state of living. Do you know what response exercise promotes in the body? STRESS!!
I’m going to get a little science-y on ya for a second 😎
When your body is stressed, you’re activating the Sympathetic Nervous System – this is where your body initiates ‘Fight or Flight’. When this happens, all these happen within your body unconsciously….
- Increases Resting Heart Rate
- Decreases Rate of Digestion (can’t poop)
- Increases Respiratory Rate (heavy breathing)
- Increased Blood Pressure
- Increased Inflammation
- Increased Cortisol
All of these reactions that stress produces inside your body will work against you if you’re trying to lose excess body fat. So, this is why rest days and just resting in general is so important!
All that being said…
It’s time to evaluate your current beliefs about rest and exercise and decide if it’s time for to make some new ones. What I would like you to do is:
- Write down 5 of your current beliefs
- Analyze them. Decide if you should keep or discard them in order to reach your goals.
- Toss out the beliefs that don’t support you on this journey.
- Generate 5 new beliefs.
Here’s an example of mine from when I used to have a ‘go hard or go home’ mentality:
- I need to workout 6-7 days a week to maintain and lose weight otherwise I’ll get fat.
- My workouts need to be 1.5-2 hours long
- If I eat too much I should do cardio so I don’t get off track
- If I’m exhausted that’s not an excuse, I need to workout no matter what
- Sleep is not that important to my training and weight loss
- I will workout 3-5 days a week so my body can heal and recover. This will support my lifelong goal of being healthy.
- My workouts each serve a purpose – some are longer, some are shorter, this is best for my body.
- Cardio has a purpose & is not to be used as punishment for overeating. Not to mention, this added stress can raise cortisol resulting in increased hunger and a continued cycle of overeating and trying to punish myself with exercise.
- There is nothing wrong with listening to my body and switching my rest days so that I can heal.
- Sleep is a priority. Not enough of it can contribute to why I’m not losing body fat or getting stronger.
THIS IS IMPORTANT – you need to write down these beliefs
Pen to paper. It has power!
I want to end this with a challenge, I challenge you to get 8 hours of sleep this weekend, yes both nights!! You deserve it, your body deserves it, people around you deserve it!
Recipe for the Weekend
Healthy Turkey Chili
(Great Pre/Post Workout Meal)
- 2 lbs 99% fat-free ground turkey
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes, no-salt added
- 1 (15 oz) can petite diced tomatoes, no-salt added
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. hot sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, no-salt added, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, 1 green bell pepper, 2 jalapenos – all chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 packet Stevia
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Pour olive oil in a large pot and saute onion and garlic until translucent/smelly, about 3 minutes. Add ground turkey and cook until crumbled and brown, draining excess liquid as necessary.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients and cook on medium/low heat for about an hour.
Yield: ~8 1 cup servings (235 calories per serving) Fat/Carb/Protein = 2.5g/20g/33g
Learn More on YouTube
If you have questions about the training programming checkout out growing YouTube channel, TheOMNIFIT2016 (also linked in the Connect With Us section below). We are still in the process getting all of the videos that correspond to the program loaded, but will be able to help you with the exercises through the Facebook Group if it is needed.
Thank you so much for trusting us to guide you on your journey! We are excited to grow with you.
LEILA NAGHSHINEH Program Coach of The Omni Fit
Join Us on Facebook
You may have some questions or want to share some of your progress through the week. We’d love to hear from you!!